Her numbers now 3 years old have only worsened and the economic woes in Northeast Thailand, Isaan are in a state of disaster by now.
2 elite gangs are fighting to control the citizens and the wealth of the country. Either group are made up of arrogant, selfish, ruthless individuals intent on subjugating the masses.
I have seen the citizens of Thailand kowtowing in Government offices to get simple tasks completed. Having to pay a bribe to get the simplest of work done, only to have to practically kiss the feet of the Government officer. I have seen entire village left in the hot sun for hours waitng for some Government Dignatary.
This is a country wher the minister os Sport and tourism has decided that any women that has dinner in the company of a male cannot later accuse him of rape. Here are some of the economic numbers.
- The top 20% own 69% of the country's assets while the bottom 20% own only 1%.
- 42% of bank savings money comes from only 70,000 bank accounts holding more than 10 million baht. They make up only 0.09% of all bank accounts in the country. In other words, less than 1% of the people own nearly half of the country's savings.
- Among the farming families, nearly 20% of them are landless, or about 811,871 families, while 1-1.5 million farming families are tenants or struggling with insufficient land.
- 10% of land owners own more than 100 rai each, while the rest 90% own one rai or less.
- On income distribution, the top 20% enjoy more than 50% of the gross domestic product while the bottom 20% only 4%.
- The average income of the bottom 20% is the same as the poverty line at 1,443 baht per month.
- The gap between the richest and poorest family is 13 times, higher than all our neighbouring countries.
It is not a pretty picture and it will only continue to get worse as the ruling elite of either group becomes more and more greedy. There is not much of the pie left for the citizens of Thailand now. Debt and disease are rampant in the Northeast. What will they do when the only ones left are the elite. Of course they will begin to feed off each other.
|Debt Collectors are Everywhere|