advertise here

Monday, October 15, 2012

Catholicism in Northeast Thailand,

Catholicism has existed in Thailand for years. A good friend has been a Catholic Priest in Northeast Thailand for nearly 50 years. I don't really know if there is such a thing as saints, but if there is, Mike Shea had damn well better be on the list for all the work Sarnelli House and his other projects have done. There are many other examples of the good work the Catholic Church has done in Isaan and elsewhere in Thailand. The Vietnamese population many of whom fled their homeland are of the faith.
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Thare and Nonseng is located in Sakon Nakhon and includes  Kalasin, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom. I stopped by Saint Joseph School here in town to look around and get some photographs. I had never heard of the Aliiance  of the Two Hearts so after visiting the church I looked that info up.
A rather odd collection of Saints statues line the drive, I have no idea why they were chosen. One depiction I was not surprised to see was that of the 7 Martyrs Songkhon, Mukdahan. There are a number of stories and some controversy about the events of that time and I have finally found a piece of academia that tells a story about  "An uncivil state of affairs: Fascism and anti-Catholicism in Thailand, 1940–1944" which you can read at the link.
you can go to wikipedia and other sources for more info if you are interested.
I took the photos in the morning therefor the statues on the east side are a bit naff, but have a look around.