advertise here

Thursday, September 20, 2012

UPDATE---AEC, EWEC,SNRU, WTF another meeting in Thailand

Why would anyone leave an event on their website 2 months after it happened. Any how I got a copy of the abstract book and will be posting more info later

The ASEAN Economic Community, The East West Economic Corridor WTF  I attended my first meeting of the kind on Sepember 11/12, 2001 in Nong Khai Thailand, a date easily remembered. Over the years I have read of many meetings attended a few, but read little of any results, data or firm information. In Thailand the corridor stretches from Tak in the West, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, Khon Kaen, Kalasin and Mukdahan. This is one area of the whole ASEAN thing that is of interest to me as it affects Isaan.
In its most basic form it will be bring traffic, carrying good across the region. How ready is Isaan for the increased traffic? Not at all. One might think in 12 years a few 100 kilometers of existing road could be upgraded to dual carriageway. Forget that! I will show you more on another post.
What brought this on is a conference that takes place today at Sakon Nakhon Rajabhat University that I plan on checking out.
Here is what I read about the 4th conference
 "  Ms. Vittaya Prasongwattana, Vice governor of Sakon Nakhon Province gave opening remarks. Special Discussion on “Human Resource Development for Entering ASEAN COMMUNITY” by invited keynote speakers - Mr. Tung Untachai, a Thai senator, Nguyen Duc Chinh, Standing Vice Chairman of the Quang Tri Provincial People’s Committee, Vietnam, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Boonpong Kaerodom, president of Savannakhet University. There were 64 contributed oral presentations and 56 posters were scheduled during the lively poster sessions." I hope I don't miss any of the lively poster sessions.
I am going under the assumption that this is going to be another in a long list of "waste of time" gatherings. Hopefully I will be found wrong.
Not to worry you will be hearing more about the East West Economic Corridor in the days, weeks and months to come from behind the Khao Ngiaow Curtain