advertise here

Monday, August 20, 2012

20.08.12 Somdet Phra Srinakarindra Park, Sakon Nakhon, Northeast Thailand

The gym at the Sakon Nakhon Hospital was locked tight both Saturday and Sunday afternoon, so I found myself at Somdet Phra Srinakarindra Park to get in a bit of exercise. Although I often  visit the park on weekdays, I see little of it on weekends, so was quite surprised at the number of folks who take advantage of the space for relaxation. Families and groups of teens  picnicking, Kids playing and folks paddling on the pond. Just the normal scenes one might see anywhere in the world and reminiscent of a Renoir painting (yes I really thought that), The other interesting facts were the absence of trash and beer. Many of the parks I encounter around Isaan, Beung Kaen Nakhon in Khon Kaen included have a prohibition on alcoholic beverages and smoking, but are strewn with the remains, both empty bottles and cigarette butts littering the grounds.
Just one of those wonderful Isaan moments that bring on a smile and a warm cuddly feeling.
Hope you all had a great weekend.