advertise here

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ku Phanna Sawang Daen Din, Sakon Nakhon, Isaan, Thailand

I read in Khon Kaen Retirement about flooding in Sakon Nakhon and mention of a place I thought I might have visited. According to the story the site  mentioned was Ku Phan-na. Now as you can see on the plaque at the site  the place is named Ku  Phanna and the name of the village is Ban Phanna, so I assume that that is the place same place.
Somewhere in the article it mentions that it has been underwater for a month or more. I am not sure that is the case, as it has been less than a month since I was last in the area and I do not remember seeing displaced people
What I do remember is the homes just meters away and the birthday party going on when I was there. As always I was invited to have a drinks by the family. I guess to a lot of readers these statistics about flooding and rai are interesting. To me these are people I have met, many I have known for years. Just as I saw on the ring road in Khon Kaenit is 1,000s of real people and real families
Remember this is not a first world country and quotes like this from The Nation, one of Thailand's 2 main Nearly English language newspapers are seen daily.  "Flood also had severely affected other areas in the province. Floodwater from Phu Phan mountain had flown and inundated over 3,000 rai of agriculture areas at Sawang Din Dang district.'The Nation article also mentions "The authority has insisted that the temple will not be collapsed by flood as the temple had been reconstructed and strengthened the basement." I have no idea what Authority it is talking about and this nor any other Khmer site that I have ever visited have a basement.
I do know that much more than 3,000 rai of land has been affected.
One Thing I know for sure in this country I will not believe any statement, information, advertisement, by any Government body or any person government or otherwise unless I see it for myself. Statements are made hourly and are either incorrect or misleading. I do not know if this is done through stupidity or an effort to mislead and don't really care. If you want correct information in Thailand go see for yourself. Which I will be doing soon in Sakon Nakhon.
Also if you are going to donate anything to help flood victims, make sure you know who you are giving your money to. Last year, as I was told, 10% of moneys donated made it to the people who needed it.
And as always the site has been GPSed by me

View Sakon Nakhon in a larger map